Best Wine Tastings Near Istanbul – Did you know about the Thrace Wine Route located extremely close to İstanbul? This route ecompasses 12 boutique wineries established im 4 different sub-regions of Thrace – namely, Tekirdağ, Şarköy, Gelibolu (Gallipoli) and Kirklareli.
The Thrace route can easily be accessed from Istanbul (and our Hotel Lavanta Hotel, the best budget hotel in Taksim) Daily tours with pick-up from/to the hotel can easily be arranged.
Wine has been produced in Turkey since 6500 BC and Turkey is home to around 1200 varieties of grapes. Each sub-region of Thrace possesses its unique terrain whıch accounts for each vineyards diversity.
Some of the Best Wine Tastings near Istanbul can be found in Tekirdağ. Tekirdağ is located 200km away from Istanbul and can easily be accessed via car, bus or train. If you are looking for a quick day trip and do not want to be on the road for long, we suggest you visit Tekirdağ.
- Barbare Vineyards – the perfect combination of sunshine and winds allow for the harvest of Merlot, Cabernet, Sauvignon, Grenache, Syrah an Mourvedre Grapes
- Barel Vineyards – Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay and Syrah grapes are grown here, and the vineyard is open to visitors in April
- Nuzun Vineyards – entirely organic grapes are grown here, and the vineyards is entirely self-sufficiency powered by its own wind turbines and solar panels.
Some of the Best Wine Tastings can be found in Şarköy, which is located a little further away from Istanbul.
- Melen Vineyards – the vineyard culture in this region area dates back to Ancient Greece. The vineyard is also home to the St. Ioannis Monastery. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo and Siraz grapes are harvested here.
If you have a little bit more time on your hands, or were thinking about a weekend getaway, we suggest you visit Kirklareli.
- Vino Dessera Vineyard – this vineyard is known for its harvest of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Öküzgözü, Barbera, Sangiovese, Narince, Muscat, Shiraz and Cabernet Franc.
- Arcadia Vineyards – the only vineyard which grows Sauvignon Gris and Pinot Gris, and is also home to Sauvignon Blanc, Narice, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Frank, Merlot, Öküzgözu and Papaskarasi.
On a sidetone: If you are in Kiriklareli, you should also pay a visit to the Aşağı Pınar Open Air museum, an archaeological site of one of the earliest settlements dating back to the Neolithic era (6200 B.C.) The site is located 3km from Kirklareli’s city centre and is open to visitors during the excavation season.
If you are in Istanbul and would like to partake in a tour of the Thrace Wine route, we recommend Lavanta Hotel for its ideal Taksim location, with daily departures to Tekirdağ. For more information about daily tours outside of Istanbul contact us.