When travelling, have you ever thought about what you can do to travel more responsibly?
Traveling responsibly will provide you with a richer holiday experience, and allow you to actively contribute to the places you visit, and the people who live there. So the next time you visit Lavanta Hotel – Best Budget Hotel in Taksim – or any other destination on your bucket list, think about how you can travel more sustainably.
What exactly do we mean by sustainable and responsible traveling? What can I do?
For example, ordering the local dish which is readily available, rather than a dish you usually eat at home. Not only will you have the opportunity to try something new and tasty… this dish will also have a lower carbon footprint, because local food will have travelled less distances to reach your plate. The best example is fish; it may have been caught by someone local, who benefits from you buying it.
Traveling responsibly simply means becoming a conscious traveller. It’s not supposed to be a chore, but includes simple, sensible actions:
- Buying locally made craft
- Purchasing products from an array of locally run shops and restaurants
- Turning off lights and air conditioning when leaving your room
- Using water carefully and not leaving taps running
- Re-using your towels when possible
- Disposing of your waste appropriately and not leaving it for someone to pick up on the street
- Packing light and for a purpose. Be smart about what you really need. Packaging like the plastic wrapping of a new toothbrush just uses up unnecessary space in your bag and can create excess waste for the destination to deal with
- Explore your transport options – wherever possible, try to minimize your pollution and impact on the environment by looking to alternative transportation (like walking :)) Luckily Lavanta Hotel is located very centrally so you can practically walk nearly everywhere!)
Always remember, you have a definite influence on the places you visit. Wishing everyone happy and responsible travels!
If you have further questions about Istanbul, or are looking for a place to stay, let us know!